At the beginning of this year, hubbie and I decided to incorporate ways to save money on our food and non-food household purchases. One way was joining a wholesale club. We shopped around and decided on Costco for various reasons.
We purchased a regular membership option and have been shopping there for the past six months.
It was a bit of a learning experience for me since I never shopped this way before. I am so accustomed to shopping weekly and ONLY for what I will need THAT week. It was a little daunting for me at first. LOL! However, I got the hang of it after 2-3 shopping trips.
Does it work?
YES! I am very pleased with our decision. We are saving money by purchasing in bulk. Honestly, I was very skeptical at first. However, after these past 6 months of regular purchasing of products we have always bought and seeing the major savings in our overall spending, I am sold!
I am also very pleased with the level of customer service and the attitude of the employees. It is always a very pleasant experience.
One of the best things I have discovered about membership with Costco is the movie tickets we can buy at a discount rate. VERY cool! :)
One thing I miss though, is shopping bags! LOL! It is a little challenging sometimes.
A few tips for you…
- Never shop on the weekend–far too busy.
- Get gas during regular work hours–not after 4 or on weekends.
- Do not shop hungry! LOL! They have so many scrumptious samples, you will be tempted to buy what you did not plan to!
- Grab boxes on your way in, so you do not have to scramble to get them at the end of your shopping trip.
- Prepare your cupboards and fridge before you go shopping. Shopping bulk will require prep and room!
One final tip– Costco is far more than food. They have furniture, household items, TV’s and MUCH more. If you are new to this kind of shopping, do a complete walk through of the store to get a feel for what they have to offer, so you can make mental notes for possible future purchases.
We have not signed up for premium membership yet. We are still mulling that over. I’ll let you know how it goes if we do…